This Caramel Smoothie is dairy-free and naturally sweetened yet unbelievably creamy and delicious. You'll only need 5 ingredients! Topped with some homemade Vegan Whipped Cream and this 2-Ingredient Caramel Sauce it's one of my all-time favorite smoothie recipes.
For more smoothie recipes try Peanut Butter Smoothie, Mango Smoothie or Celery Cucumber Smoothie.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It makes a delicious breakfast, sweet snack or healthy dessert.
- It's ready in 5 minutes.
- It's dairy-free, vegan and refined sugar-free.
Ingredients & Substitution Notes
- (Medjool) Dates: This caramel smoothie recipe is sweetened with dates. They are naturally quite sweet so this smoothie doesn't contain any added sugar. If you can, choose Medjool dates. They taste amazing in this smoothie because of their caramel-like flavor and texture. You can find Medjool dates in most bigger grocery stores. Alternatively, you could use "normal" small ones but you'll probably need more then.
- (Oat) Milk: I used unsweetened oat milk for this smoothie because it's naturally quite sweet and tastes amazing in smoothie recipes. You could however, use any non-dairy milk of choice such as soy milk or almond milk. This recipe also works with regular whole milk if you don't need this recipe to be vegan.
- Peanut Butter: I highly recommend using natural peanut butter that consists 100% of peanuts. You could replace the peanut butter with almond butter but the smoothie will taste a bit different.
- Ice Cubes: They add some creamy texture and could be replaced with a frozen banana.
- 2-Ingredient Vegan Caramel Sauce (optional): as a topping
- Pinch of sea salt (optional): to turn this into a salted caramel smoothie.
This date caramel smoothie is super quick and easy to make. Because it includes dates, you'll need a fairly strong (high-speed) blender to end up with a smooth and creamy smoothie.
STEP 1: Blend. In case your dates aren't soft, make sure to soak them in very hot water for about 10 minutes. Then put all of the ingredients into your blender. Blend until smooth.
STEP 2: Adjust. Taste and adjust the sweetness by adding more dates or bananas. For a thinner smoothie, gradually add more milk.
STEP 3: Serve. Pour the smoothie into a serving glass and add some Vegan Whipped Cream or our 2-Ingredient Caramel Sauce on top.
- Greek yogurt: Add some extra texture as well as protein by adding a big scoop of Greek yogurt or vegan yogurt.
- Cocoa powder: Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to turn this into a chocolate caramel smoothie.
- Ice cream: Turn this into a decadent milkshake by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream or caramel ice cream.
- Vanilla extract: Add ¼ teaspoon for some subtle vanilla flavors.
- Protein Powder: Turn this into a salted caramel protein shake by adding a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
- Frozen fruits: Add a frozen banana for some extra sweetness.
- High-speed blender: For the smoothie to turn out creamy and smooth, I'll highly recommend using a high-speed blender like a Vitamix.
- Soft dates: In case your dates aren't soft, soak them in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Whipped cream: Try our Vegan Whipped Cream as a topping. Ready in only a couple of minutes!
- Caramel sauce: You can either add this 2-Ingredient Vegan Caramel Sauce while blending or add it as a topping.
- Cacao nibs: Would also make a great topping.
- Coconut flakes: Sprinkle with some coconut flakes for some extra flavors.
If you tried this or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment or rating below! SIGN UP for the WSK newsletter and get the newest recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Healthy (Salted) Caramel Smoothie
- 1 cup oat milk *or other milk of choice
- 2 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 2 Medjool dates *see notes
- 4 ice cubes
- Homemade Vegan Caramel Sauce *see notes
- In case your dates aren't soft, place them in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Then add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- If you prefer a thinner consistency, gradually add more milk. For a sweeter smoothie, add more dates.
- Top with some plant based whipped cream, homemade caramel sauce or other toppings of choice (suggestions above) and enjoy!
- Medjool Dates: This recipe calls for Medjool dates because of their caramel-like flavor and texture. If you can’t find any, simply use “normal” small ones but you might need to use about double the amount.
- Vegan Whipped Cream: Tastes amazing as a topping!
- 2-Ingredient Vegan Caramel Sauce: Topping your smoothie with this caramel sauce is optional but I highly recommend it! Making this sauce only takes about 5 minutes, go ahead, give it a go!
- Salted Caramel Smoothie: Turn this into a salted caramel smoothie by adding a tiny pinch of sea salt.
Leave a Reply