If you're not a fan of raw onions, then this recipe is for you! Guacamole without onion tastes just as delicious as the traditional Guacamole recipe you might know. This easy guacamole dip requires a couple of simple ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes!
Guacamole is one of the most versatile dips out there. It tastes amazing in sandwiches and on toast, alongside some crunchy tortilla chips or as a topping in other Mexican recipes. Check out Guacamole Sandwich or Mexican Bean Soup which both include this delicious dip.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's super creamy and packed with flavor even though there's no onion included!
- It's naturally gluten-free, oil-free and can easily be made dairy-free and vegan.
- It's super versatile (see suggestions below).
- There's no special equipment needed (no food processor)!
Ingredients & Substitution Notes
- Avocados: The key to the best guacamole recipe is choosing perfect avocados that are well riped. This sounds pretty obvious but can sometimes be a bit tricky. I really like Love On Today's guide on how to pick an avocado. Unripe avocados are usually very firm and still a bit tasteless. In addition, it's hard to mash the avocado flesh of an unripe, hard avocado with a fork. Give the avocado a gentle squeeze. If the avocado yields to gentle pressure you know it's ready to eat.
- Yogurt of Choice: Any unsweetened, plain yogurt of choice such as Greek yogurt or soy yogurt for a dairy-free, vegan guacamole recipe.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Their texture is perfect in dips as they hold less liquid than plum tomatoes.
- Cilantro: If you don't like the taste of fresh cilantro (I feel that people either love or hate it), then you could try parsley instead or omit it all together.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Lemon and avocado are such a match! It adds some delicious tangy flavors and freshness to this homemade guacamole. Could be replaced with fresh lime juice.
- Garlic Powder: Tastes amazing and enhances all the other ingredient's natural flavors! Could be replaced with fresh garlic or omitted if you're not a fan of garlic.
Step by Step Instructions
This authentic guacamole recipe comes together in no time. The best part is that there's no special equipment needed. A knife, a fork and a small mixing bowl is all you'll need!
STEP 1: Mash avocado + yogurt. Half the avocados and remove the pit. Remove the flesh using a spoon.
Put it into a medium-sized mixing bowl and add yogurt.
Mash the avocados with a fork (or potato masher) to your desired consistency.
Leave some chunks if you prefer a chunky guacamole texture or mash thoroughly until you end up with a creamier dip.
STEP 2: Add remaining ingredients. Add salt, garlic powder and lemon juice and stir until well combined.
Optional: Add fresh diced tomatoes and minced cilantro. Stir again. Enjoy it the classic way- with corn chips or as a dip alongside some healthy vegetable sticks or as topping with a main dish.
- Ripe Avocados: It's really important to choose well riped avocados for this recipe to turn out perfect. I really like Love On Today's guide on how to pick a ripe avocado.
- Fresh Ingredients: The fresher the ingredients, the more flavor you will get, especially when it comes to cilantro!
- Omit: The most basic guacamole recipe consists of avocados, salt and yogurt. All of the other ingredients are meant to enhance the flavors even further but can easily be omitted. You can leave out either one ingredient (like tomatoes) or even more (say tomatoes and cilantro) and tweak the recipe to your personal preference. Note, however, that the taste will not be the same anymore. See the ingredients section above for substitution ideas.
- Chili: Turn this into a spicy guacamole by adding some chili flakes or black pepper.
- Jalapenos: If you like it even spicier, feel free to add some jalapenos- they make an amazing addition!
- Fresh garlic: Instead of garlic powder, you could use fresh minced garlic instead.
- Feta: Crumbled feta and avocados are a great fit- use vegan feta for a dairy-free guacamole.
- Diced Cucumber: Finely diced cucumber can also make a great addition to this guacamole. Remove the seeds though as the guacamole could become watery.
- Green Goddess Sandwich: Guacamole tastes amazing on toast or sandwiches. Fill your sandwich with guacamole, some veggies and greens and you've got a light lunch within minutes!
- Mexican dishes: Makes the perfect sauce in tacos such as Vegan TVP Tacos or Jackfruit Birria Tacos, burritos or Mexican flavored burgers.
- Soups: I love using it as a topping for certain soups just as my Mexican Bean Soup.
- Crepes: Makes an amazing savory filling in crepes such as our Almond Milk Crepes or 3-Ingredient Crepes (vegan).
- Veggie dip: Makes the perfect healthy snack when used as a great dipping sauce for celery sticks, carrot sticks, and other veggies.
- Snack Board: Serve this guacamole as part of a snack board such as our vegetarian charcuterie board.
- Nachos: makes the perfect topping for my Loaded Veggie Nachos.
Store leftover guacamole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. It might become a bit watery so give it a good stir before serving it again. Nothing beats the taste of fresh guacamole though so if you can, enjoy right away!
This depends on the specific recipes and if it includes any additives like oil or sugar. Avocados are packed with nutrients. They are high in monounsaturated fat, potassium, fiber and folate. Our recipe also includes yogurt for some extra protein as well as fresh veggies. You can read more about the health benefits of avocados in this article.
Authentic guacamole is made of avocados, fresh onion, cilantro, tomatoes, garlic, salt and lime juice. Our homemade guacamole recipe is made without onion and includes a tablespoon of plain yogurt for some extra creamy texture.
To shorten the ripening process, you have different options. You could let the avocados ripen naturally- leave it out of the fridge on the counter for a few days. Your second option is to put your unripe avocado into a paper bag with other fruit such as apples or bananas. The ethylene gas that's naturally produced can help ripen the avocado. You get more tips and tricks on how to ripen avocados over at Foodiecrush.
More recipes to try
SIGN UP for the WSK newsletter and get the newest recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Easy Guacamole without onion
- 2 well riped avocados
- 2 tablespoon plain yoghurt of choice (Greek, soy or dairy-free alternative for vegan version)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or lime, or omit)
- ½ teaspoon salt *or seas salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cherry tomatoes ,diced
- handful of fresh coriander, minced (or parsley, or omit)
- Half the avocados and remove the pit.
- Remove the flesh using a spoon and put it into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the yogurt to the bowl.
- Mash avocados with a fork (or potato masher) to your desired consistency.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients (or the ones you prefer) and stir until everything is well combined.
- Enjoy with some nachos, as a a dip alongside some healthy vegetable sticks or as topping with a main dish.
- Texture: Leave some chunky if you prefer a chunky guacamole texture or mash thoroughly until you end up with a creamier dip.
- Ripe Avocados: It's really important to choose well-riped avocados for this recipe to turn out perfect. Give the avocado a gentle squeeze. If the avocado yields to gentle pressure you know it’s ready to eat.
- Variations: The most basic guacamole recipe consists of avocados, salt & yogurt. You can leave out either one or even more of the remaining ingredients and tweak the recipe to your personal preference. Note, however, that the taste will not be the same anymore. See the ingredients section below for substitution ideas.
- Optional Add-Ins: chili flakes, jalapeño pepper, crumbled feta, diced cucumber
- Portion Size: Feel free to double or tripe the recipe.