If you’re into Mexican food (who isn’t really 😋) then this one is for you! This healthy soup Mexican Bean Soup combines the amazing flavors of Mexican spices and is one of my favorite vegan soup recipes. Preparing this soup requires a couple of simple ingredients and takes only about 30 minutes in total. It’s creaminess is achieved through blending parts of the soup up- so you won’t need any cream or additional oil.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s nutritious yet delicious and hearty dish.
- It’s contains some plant-based protein!
- It’s especially high in fibre!
- It also gluten- free.
- It’s great for meal prepping and also freezer friendly!
How to Make This Creamy Mexican Bean Soup
Start by sautéing onion, garlic, chilli, celery stalks and spices in a large soup pot. Frying the spices will bring out these delicious Mexican flavors even more! I prefer using a non-stick pot, you might need a bit more oil in case you’re using a dutch oven or a cast iron pan.
Next add in bell peppers, deglaze with the veggie stock and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
Once your veggies are soft, add kidney beans. Then transfer a couple of tablespoons from the mix to a blender. I recommend using a blender over a food processor because it won’t give you a smooth soup.
Add the blended soup back to the remaining soup- this will result in an amazingly creamy soup. In a last step, add in sweetcorn. Sprinkle with a little bit of chili flakes and black pepper. Drizzle on some lime juice and serve with toppings of choice (find suggestions below).
Ingredients & Substitution Notes
Onion:You could use red or white onion, both would be equally fine. I usually prefer using red onion but didn’t have one on hand for this recipe.
Red & Green Bell Pepper: Instead of the red you could also use a yellow bell pepper. However, I wouldn’t replace the green one since both the red and yellow peppers are quite sweet which could make the dish taste sweeter as well.
- Vegetable Broth: I use store bought veggie broth powderin all my recipes that contain veggie stock. I make sure that it contains almost no additives- it might take a while to find an appropriate one but once you’ve found a brand that you like, it saves a lot of time and energy. With the veggie stock powder that I use, 1 tablespoon of powder is enough to produce 2-3 cups of veggie stock. Alternatively you could also use chicken broth.
Kidney Beans:This recipe calls for kidney beans but you could easily replace them with black beans, pinto beans or navy beans.
Spices: This recipe includes thyme, cumin powder, and sweet and smoked paprika powder. I highly recommend not skipping the smoked paprika since, it’s crucial for this soup’s flavour. Feel free to add some spicy condiments as well such as cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Guacamole (not on the picture): It’s not an essential ingredient you need for preparing this hearty soup but it makes this soup even more delicious. Make sure to check out the recipe for my Easy Go-To Guacamole here. It only takes 5 minutes to prepare and can easily be done while the soup is simmering.
What To Serve With Mexican Bean Soup?
Guacamole: One of my all time favorite toppings in general but tastes especially good with this soup. You can prepare it while the soup is simmering. Find a super quick guacamole recipe here.
Tortilla Chips: My second favorite topping for this soup. Make sure to add it just before serving so that they stay crunchy.
Grated Cheddar: Grated cheese makes a delicious addition to this soup. I like using strong flavoured cheese such as cheddar. Simply use vegan cheese, to keep this recipe vegan.
Yoghurt: A scoop of natural yoghurt adds creaminess as well as some extra taste. You could use any yoghurt of your choice such as Greek yoghurt or soy yoghurt. Alternatively to yoghurt you could also use sour cream.
Potato Wedges: 9 out of 10 times I serve this soup with a big bowl of potato wedges on the side. Simply cut some potatoes into wedges (you could leave the skin on if you gave it a good wash). Season them with some olive oil and salt. Then roast in the oven at 180°C (356°F) for about 25 to 35 minutes or until they are soft on the inside but crispy at the outside.
- (Toasted) Bread: Would also make a great side dish. I prefer using flatbread such as pita or naan. You can either make your own (check out this recipe) or use a store-bought one.
Meal Prep - The Evening Before
To save even more time, I often prepare parts of this soup the evening before. I would recommend following the steps until the blender step. In that case, your veggie stock-kidney bean mix would be all ready. So all you would need to do the next day, is blend some up some of the soup and add some sweet corn & guacamole on top.
Yes- this soup is freezer friendly. Simply store it in a mason jar or an airtight container with a lid. Let it thaw in the fridge or on the counter overnight before consuming it.
Can I Prepare This Soup Using An Instant Pot?
Theoretically, you could, but I don’t see the need of a pressure cooker here since this recipe uses cooked beans (canned). This means that the cooking process for only the veggies is very short.
Other Soup Recipes You Might Like
- Healthy Mushroom Soup (without cream)
- 15-Minute Brokkoli & Pea Soup
- Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
Mexican Bean Soup (quick + easy)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil * more if you use a cast iron pan
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder *see notes
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 chili (omit if you don't like it spicy) chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped into very small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cups (690ml) veggie stock
- 2 tins (à 400g) kidney beans
- 1 tin sweetcorn
- salt & black pepper
- fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley) as a topping
- guacamole & other toppings of choice (see above for suggestions)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add spices, onion, garlic & chili and sauté until golden
- Add celery, bell peppers and vegetable stock.
- Add a lid and let simmer over low heat for about 15 min or until celery pieces are soft.
- Once your veggies are soft, add kidney beans.
- Take out 8-10 tablespoon of the mix and put it into a blender.
- Blend it together with ½ cup of water until creamy, then add the mix back to the soup.
- Taste & adjust salt and pepper. Then add 1 tin of sweet corn.
- Top with some black pepper, fresh cilantro, chili flakes (optional). Serve with abig scoop of guacamole and nachos.
- Guacamole: I would highly recommend to add some guacamole as a topping. . It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare and makes such a difference.
- Smoked Paprika Powder: I highly recommend not skipping this spice, it's crucial for this soup's flavour.
- Toppings: Check section on toppings above for more suggestions!