These 3-ingredient Peanut Butter Brownies are fudgy on the inside with a crispy top layer on the outside. With only 3 simple ingredients, they are super quick and easy to make. They are also gluten-free (there's no flour needed!).
These brownies are the perfect combination between fudgy and cakey with a chewy center and a crispy top. They make the perfect snack or sweet treat and are ready in no time!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- You'll only need 3 simple ingredients.
- There's no flour and no baking powder needed.
- It's a super simple recipe that requires no special equipment.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Natural Peanut Butter: For this recipe to work, you will need unsweetened natural creamy peanut butter that consists of just peanuts without any additives like oil. A bit of salt is fine.
- Sugar: I used coconut sugar in this recipe but it works just as well with regular brown sugar. I have not tested this recipe using powdered sugar!
- Egg: You'll need 1 whole egg, preferably organic, free-range.
How to make 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Brownies
These homemade brownies are the perfect recipe for when you're short on time but craving something sweet. They only require 5 minutes of prep time and are ready in less than 30 minutes.
STEP 1: Whisk together egg and sugar. Add coconut sugar and egg to a large bowl.
Start mixing with an electric mixer until well combined. You could also use a whisk but it will take a bit longer.
STEP 2: Add peanut butter to the mix.
And mix again until the peanut butter is fully incorporated into the egg-sugar mix. You could again use a whisk but it will take considerably longer. The batter will be very sticky, that's fine!
STEP 3: Bake. Line a baking pan (~8x5 inch/ 20x13cm) with parchment paper (I'm not a fan of using a cooking spray). Transfer the sticky brownie batter to the prepared pan.
Bake for about 20 minutes (+/- 2 min) depending on if you prefer a chewy or a more cakey texture. Let cool completely.
Rinse your spatula with warm water every now and then to facilitate the spreading of the sticky dough.
Variations & Add-Ins
- Texture: The texture of these peanut butter brownies will vary quite a bit depending on how long you bake them. For chewy peanut butter brownies with a fudgy center, bake them for about 18 minutes. For more cakey brownies, let them in the oven for 22 minutes.
- Cocoa Powder: Feel free to turn these into peanut butter and chocolate brownies by adding a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. The brownies will taste different then though (the peanut butter flavor will be much less prominent).
- Chocolate Chips: You could go one step further and throw in a handful of chocolate chips for a more chocolatey flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: For some vanilla flavors, add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Bigger Batch: The recipe yields 6 brownies. For a bigger batch of these brownies, feel free to double the amount.
- Caramel Sauce: Serve with some homemade 2-ingredient caramel sauce on top for some extra flavors.
- Sea Salt: Sprinkle some sea salt on top (optional).
- Ice Cream: During the hotter months, these chewy brownies taste amazing served with small scoop of your favorite ice cream on top (we used vegan vanilla ice cream).
- Cozy Drinks: On colder days, serve these brownies alongside a glass of Hot Chocolate or Peanut Butter Coffee.
Store any leftover brownies in an airtight container in the fridge for 6 days.
You might- unfortunately, I haven't tried this recipe with any other nut butter than peanut butter. But you could try using natural almond butter or sunflower seed butter. I would choose roasted almond butter for more depth of flavor. The taste will definitely be different then though.
The texture of this brownie will depend on how long you bake them. A shorter baking time will result in a chewy texture.
If you tried this or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment or rating below! SIGN UP for the WSK newsletter and get the newest recipes delivered right to your inbox!
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Brownies
- ½ cup natural peanut butter *see notes
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar *or finely granulated brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 356°F (180°C).
- Add coconut sugar and egg to a large mixing bowl.
- Start mixing with an electric mixer until well combined. You could also use a whisk but it will take a bit longer.
- Add the peanut butter and mix again until fully incorporated and you end up with a thick, sticky batter.
- Line a 8x5 inch (20x13cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
- Transfer the sticky brownie batter to the prepared pan. Create an even layer by spreading the batter with the back of a spoon.
- The batter will resemble more of a thick paste. Rinsing your spoon with warm water every now and then will help spread out the sticky dough.
- Bake for about 20 minutes (+/- 2 min) depending on if you prefer a chewy or a more cakey texture (see notes).
- Let cool completely. Serve with toppings of choice (ice cream, homemade caramel sauce...)
- Peanut Butter: For this recipe to work, you will need unsweetened natural creamy peanut butter that consists of just peanuts without any additives like oil. A bit of salt is fine.
- Adjust sweetness: These brownies are sweet but not overly so. You can make them sweeter by using ½ cup coconut sugar (90g) instead of ⅓ cup.
- Texture: The texture of these peanut butter brownies will vary quite a bit depending on how long you bake them. For fudgy brownies with a soft center, bake them for about 18 minutes. For more cakey brownies, bake for 22 minutes.
- Bigger Batch: Feel free to double the ingredients for a bigger batch of brownies.