Healthy Chocolate Smoothie
I love having smoothies as a dessert or breakfast when I'm short on time but craving something sweet. This Healthy Vegan Chocolate Tahini Smoothie dairy-free and refined sugar-free yet incredibly delicious and filling.
It's sweetened with dates, which not only add some caramel flavour but also contain many nutritents like magnesium and potassium and are also high in fibre. This smoothie also includes oats which contribute to a creamy texture and makes you feel full for longer. All in all it's a healthy smoothie containing a lot of nutritious wholefood ingredients.
How to Make This Healthy Vegan Chocolate Tahini Smoothie
Simply put all of the ingredients needed into a (high speed) blender and blend until smooth.
Feel free to add more liquid if you like a thinner consistency.
If you decide to include the cashew-coconut cream it will take a little bit longer since you will need to wait until the coconut milk is solid and cashews are soaked.
About the Ingredients
(Plant) milk of choice: I used oatmilk in this recipe simply because it's my favourite type of plant milk. With its natural sweetness I find its perfect for sweet recipes like smoothies and desserts. Feel free to use any milk you like, however, if its not naturally a sweet one you might need to add more dates.
Medjool dates: In this recipe I used Medjool dates. They are generally bigger and have a more caramel like texture and flavour. Unfortunately they might also be harder to find so feel free to replace it with "normal" small ones. The ratio I usually use is 1 Medjool date = 2 "normal" small ones. Additionally, if your dates aren't soft and gooey, you might need to soak them in very hot water for about 10 minues beforehead.
Pecans: Pecans contribute to a nutty flavour in this recipe. You could use any other type of nuts you liked.
Cacao powder: I always make sure to use pure cacao powder with no additives.
Tahini: Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds and can be bought in many health food stores. I used store-bought 100% tahini for this recipe. It makes the smoothie thick and creamy and also have a subtle nutty flavour. If you don't find any, you could replace it with peanut butter for instance.
- Oats: For this recipe, any oats will do. They help with the creamy texture and add some additional nutrients.
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Tahini Smoothie
- 1 cup (230ml) plant milk
- ½ cup (110ml) water
- ⅓ cup (40g) pecans
- 2 tbsp (40g) tahini
- 4 pitted Medjool dates *see notes
- big tbsp (15g) oats
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- ¾ cup (90g) cashews
- ½ cup (100g) coconut cream
- 3 Medjool dates
- If you plan on including the cashew-coconut cream put a can of cococnut milk into your fridge overnight.
- The next day, soak the cashews in very hot water.
- Then put soaked cashews, coconut cream (only the solid part of the coconut milk that should be on top now) and Medjool dates into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Put cashew-coconut cream into a piping bag (or simply use a big spoon) and add it on top of your smoothie.
- Place all of the smoothie ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Gradually add more milk/water if you prefer it a little thinner.
- Medjool Dates: This recipe calls for Medjool dates because of it's caramel-like flavour and texture. If you can't find any, simply use "normal" small ones but you might need to use about double the amount.
Leave a Reply