This chocolatey and rich Vegan Rocky Road Fudge recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free. It’s also made without marshmallows, without biscuits or butter. With a prep time of 5 minutes, these indulgent vegan rocky road bars will soon become one of your favorite treats! They would make an amazing vegan Halloween treat but taste delicious all year round!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It’s a healthier version of the traditional rocky road recipe we know (no marshmallows, no biscuits, no golden syrup, no butter or margarine)
- It’s super fudgy and crunchy at the same time!
- It only involves 5 minutes of prep time.
How to Make Vegan Rocky Road
Step 1: Melt chocolate and coconut oil
Start by heating a small pan over VERY low heat. Add dark chocolate and coconut oil start melting the chocolate while constantly stirring with a whisk or spoon. Alternatively, you could melt it in a water bath. Put a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water and let simmer until chocolate is melted.
Step 2: Add your crunchy ingredients
This recipe calls for blanched roasted hazelnuts and candied orange peel. Once the chocolate is melted, add them to the saucepan and mix well with a spoon.
Step 3: Transfer to baking tin and refrigerate
Line a small baking tin with parchment paper. Then spoon the fudge mix into your prepared baking dish. Let cool completely, then put it in the fridge to set.
Ingredients & Substitution Notes
(Vegan) Dark Chocolate: I chose vegan dark chocolate, however, feel free to use any chocolate of choice! You could also use chocolate chips!
Coconut Oil: A little bit of coconut oil is used to help melt the chocolate. Could be replaced by vegan butter or cocoa butter. In case you want to omit the coconut oil all together, melt your chocolate over a simmering pot of water (water bath).
Candied Orange Peel: Can be replaced by other dried fruit.
- Blanched & Roasted Hazelnuts: It’s important to use blanched hazelnuts to avoid a bitter taste. If you can find blanched ones that are roasted- even better! If you can’t find any peeled and roasted hazelnuts in a grocery store near you, you could peel them yourself. Roast the nuts for about 10 minutes at 180°C (365°F). Afterwards, wrap them in a clean towel and by rubbing the nuts you will be able to remove their skins.
Alternatively, they could be replaced with macadamia nuts.
Other Filling Ideas
(Vegan) Marshmallows: Marshmallow pieces are a popular filling but also result in a slightly different texture and taste.
Dried Fruit: Any dried fruits such as raisins, cranberries or dried cherries would make a delicious mix in.
Other Nuts: Such as macadamia or almonds would make a great rocky road filling.
Turkish Delight: Also a popular rocky road fudge filling idea. Cut them into smaller pieces before adding them to the melted chocolate!
Seeds: To achieve a nut-free version, you could try adding pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
- Desiccated coconut/ coconut flakes
This depends on the ingredients included. This specific rocky road fudge is a vegan recipe as it consists of only vegan ingredients.
This recipe version is gluten-free. If you are choose to add digestive biscuits, make sure to use gluten-free ones!
Yes, it can be made with any chocolate of choice- even white chocolate
Store your rocky road in an airtight container in a cool place. I usually store mine in the fridge.
For about 1 week in an airtight container in the fridge.
Yes, this vegan fudge can be frozen for up to 1 month. Place it in an airtight container leave to thaw overnight in the fridge.
Of course, simply replace nuts with an ingredient of your choice (see filling ideas above).
Similar Vegan Dessert Recipes
Healthy (ish) Vegan Rocky Road
- 12.5 oz dark (vegan) chocolate *or any chocolate of choice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup candied orange peel
- ½ cup blanched & roasted hazelnuts (store-bought)
- Cut chocolate into small pieces.
- Heat chocolate and coconut oil in a small saucepan over very low heat (or over a pot of simmering water).
- Once melted, add in orange peel and hazelnuts.
- If your dark chocolate is not very sweet, you might want to add another 1-2 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Transfer the mass into a small tin (mine was 18x14cm) lined with a baking sheet and put it in the fridge until set (about 2 hours).
- Other Filling Ideas: (Vegan) Marshmallows, dried fruit pieces, other nuts, turkish delight, seeds
- Storage: Store your rocky road in an airtight container in a cool place. I usually store mine in the fridge. Can be storred in the fridge for about a week- in the freezer for about a month.