These Vegan Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies are gluten-free, oil-free and lower in sugar which make them a healthy alternative to most store-bought ones. Tastes best when dipped into some creamy homemade Oat Milk Hot Chocolate.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- These cookies come together in no time since all the ingredients can be mixed together in one bowl.
- They make the perfect afternoon pick-me-up snack!
- They are gluten-free and oil-free!
How to Make These Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
Preparing these cookies is really easy.
In a first step, add all the dry ingredients (ground roasted hazelnuts, cacao powder, baking powder and brown sugar) to a big bowl and stir until well combined. I like using a whisk to make sure to avoid clumps!
In the second add in your wet ingredients (maple syrup and plant milk) and mix thoroughly.
Chop up chocolate and blanched roasted hazelnuts into small chunks and add them to the mix. I used a small food processor to break down the nuts but you could also use a knife. Fold both in and mix well.
Once the dough is ready, scoop out about 1 tablespoon of the mix and put them onto a baking tray, lined with parchment paper. Slightly press down the dough to form cookie-like shapes. Repeat until dough is finished.
Bake for about 12-15 minutes then turn off the oven. In case your cookies are still quite soft at the bottom, turn the cookies up side down and let them sit in the (turned-off) oven for another 5 minutes. Let cool before enjoying them!
Ingredients & Substitution Notes
Blanched Roasted Hazelnuts: In case you can’t find any blanched and roasted hazelnuts in a store near you, you might need to peel them yourself. Roast the nuts for about 10 minutes at 180°C. Afterwards, wrap them in a clean towel and by rubbing the nuts you will be able to remove their skins. I personally find this method a bit messy and it doesn’t always do the job perfectly well, meaning that you might end up with some of the skin not fully being removed. However, it's still better than leaving the skin on since that might add a bitter taste.
Roasted Ground Hazelnuts: For this recipe to work you'll need store bought ground hazelnuts. I've once tried breaking down whole hazelnuts in my blender and then using them for the recipe, and it didn't work out- at least not with the same amount of milk.
Cacao Powder:I use non-sweetened cacao powder for this recipe.
Maple Syrup: If you don't care about this recipe not being vegan you could also use honey instead.
- Plant Milk: I prefer using non-sweetened plant milks. For sweet recipes I prefer using oat milk because it's naturally sweeter than other types of plant milks.
Similar Recipes You Might Like
1-Bowl Vegan Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- 2 cups ground roasted hazelnuts
- 5 tbsp (2.8oz) brown sugar
- 1 big tbsp cacao powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon (2.4ozl) plant milk
- ¼ cup blanched roasted hazelnuts
- handful of dark (vegan) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well using a whisk to avoid clumps.
- Add in all the wet ingredients and stir until the dough is well combined.
- Cut chocolate and hazelnuts into small chunks- for the hazelnuts I used a small food processor to break them down, make sure to pulse until nuts are slightly broken down.
- Fold in chocolate & hazelnut pieces.
- Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of the mix and use your hands to shape them into cookies. Repeat until the dough is finished.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) top and bottom heat (not convection heat) for about 12-15 minutes then turn off the oven.
- In case your cookies are still quite soft at the bottom, turn the cookies up side down and let them sit in the (turned-off) oven for another 5 minutes.
- Let cool completely as the cookies will then harden even a bit more.
- Tastes best when dipped into some homemade oat milk hot chocolate.