The taste of caramelized apples always reminds me of Christmas being just around the corner. This Apple Smoothie Bowl combines the flavors of caramelized apples, cinnamon and almond butter and makes the perfect breakfast, snack or even healthy dessert. It can be enjoyed any time of year tastes especially good during fall!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's refined sugar-free! It uses dates as a natural sweetener.
- It's ready in less than 10 minutes!
- It contains a whole bunch of nutrients! It includes fresh fruit as well as some healthy fats. Just what we need to boost our immune system during fall season!
How to Make Apple Smoothie Bowl
This delicious smoothie bowl comes together in no time.
First, the fresh apples are caramelized in a pan with maple syrup and cinnamon. This will result in achieving this classic apple pie flavor that we all love! Once the apples are ready, set aside.
Put all of the ingredients for the smoothie bowl into a (high speed) blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Add toppings of your choice and enjoy right away!
About The Ingredients
- Apples: You could use any type of apple for this recipe since they are caramelized anyway so the level of sweetness isn't as important. No need to peel the apples- most of the good stuff is found in the apples skins (think potassium, magnesium & vitamin C!).
- Almond Butter: I prefer using homemade almond butter but you can also use any store-bought one. Alternatively, you could also use peanut butter. Try to find nut butters that consist of 100% nuts, without any additives. Here's a recipe for an easy Homemade Almond Butter.
- Maple Syrup: You could use honey instead of maple syrup if you like.
- Plant Milk: Oat milk is my favourite type of plant milk to use in sweet recipes because it is naturally quite sweet. You could use any milk you prefer though such as almond milk or soy- or coconut milk.
- Oats: I used old-fashioned oats for this recipe but instant oats would work just as well.
- Frozen Bananas: They are essential for both taste and texture of this smoothie bowl. Try to go for very ripe bananas as they are naturally sweeter. In case you haven't got any frozen bananas in the freezer, cut 1 banana in half and freeze it the night before. I always keep a couple of banana pieces in the freezer so that they are ready to use in smoothie recipes.
- Dates: If you can, I would recommend using Medjool dates. They are super gooey and add a caramel-like flavor to this recipe! Otherwise use â€œregular smallâ€ dates. Make sure to soak them in very hot water for about 10 minutes if they are not soft enough.
As with any smoothie bowl, adding some delicious toppings is definitely as important as the smoothie bowl itself.
- Homemade (Granola): Is one of my favourite toppings on smoothie bowls! It adds some crunchiness as well as some additional nutrients. This Apple Cinnamon Granola would make an amazing topping.
- Almond Butter: Adding even more almond butter on top tastes super delicious! Check out the recipe for some Homemade Almond Butter here.
- Nuts and Seeds: I love adding some roasted almonds or chia seeds to my smoothie bowls. Hemp seeds would work as well! They not only add a boost of antioxidants but also some omega 3 fatty acids.
- Dried Fruit: Feel free to experiment what you like. I prefer raisins (though not everybody is keen on them), or dried apricots in my smoothie bowls.
- Coconut Flakes: Also make a great smoothie topping!
Apple Smoothie Bowl
- 2 apples ,chopped into pieces
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- dash of water
- 4 dates (presoaked in hot water for about 10 min, in case they are not soft enough)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon almond butter *see notes
- ¼ cup (30g) oats
- 1 cup (230ml) plant milk
- pinch of cinnamon
- toppings of choice (almond butter, granola...) *see notes
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Add apples and maple syrup and sauté until golden brown and soft. You might need to add a dash of water as well.
- Let apples cool.
- Place all ingredients except for about 2 tablespoon of apples (that will serve as a topping) into a (high speed) blender and blend until smooth.
- To achieve an even creamier texture, feel free to add some ice cubes.
- Serve with your toppings of choice (more almond butter, nuts, apples).