This amazingly wholesome 5-Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread is super quick and easy to make. It’s refined sugar-free and healthier than most regular recipes (no butter involved!). Topped with some Homemade Almond Butter and alongside a cup of Oat Milk Hot Chocolate, it makes the perfect breakfast or healthy sweet treat.
Ingredients & Substitution Notes
- Flour: I used white all-purpose flour for this recipe. You could also use gluten-free flour instead but this will result in a quite different texture. For best results I would recommend sticking to regular flour.
- Mashed Banana: Bananas not only add taste and texture but also sweetness to this recipe. So I highly recommend using very ripe ones. Look for bananas with lots of brown spots on the skins.
- Maple Syrup: This recipe is refined sugar free and uses maple syrup as a sweetener. You could use any liquid sweetener of your choice (agave syrup, brown rice syrup, date syrup…). Don’t replace it with crystal sweeteners such as brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Olive Oil: I used olive oil in this recipe because it’s much healthier than coconut oil or even vegan butter. Don’t be afraid, you don’t taste it in this recipe! Technically, you could use any neutral flavoured oil though such as melted coconut oil or sunflower oil.
- Baking Powder: Is your rising agent, don’t omit!
How To Make 5-Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread
Because of its minimal ingredients, this easy banana bread comes together in no time!
Step 1: Mash bananas + mix wet ingredients.
In a medium bowl, mash bananas with a fork. It’s important to really measure the required amount of banana puree using a measuring cup for the recipe to turn out perfect.
Next mix together the mashed bananas, maple syrup and olive oil. I recommend using a whisk.
Step 2: Add dry ingredients.
Then add baking powder and flour and stir until well combined. Stop whisking as soon as you end up with a homogenous batter, don’t overstir or you might end up with a dense texture!
Step 3: Bake.
Transfer your batter to a loaf tin lined with parchment paper. My tin size was 20 x 10cm/ 8x4 inch.
Bake in preheated oven (180°C (350°F)) for 50 – 55 minutes or until a skewer/ toothpick inserted into the centre of the banana bread comes out clean. Bake time might vary slightly depending on your oven.
Step 4: Let cool.
Take the bread out of the oven. Let it sit in the loaf pan for 5 more minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. Let cool completely before slicing it!
- Nuts: I love adding some walnuts or pecans to this recipe. They add some additional texture as well as nutrients!
- Seeds: if you would want the recipe to be nut-free, seeds such as sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds would make a great addition.
- Vanilla Extract: Would add some nice subtle vanilla flavour- feel free to add some!
- Chocolate Chips: Who doesn’t like the combination of chocolate and banana? Throw in some chocolate chips for some additional chocolaty flavour.
- Dried Fruits: You could chop up some dates or add raisins, dried cranberries or any dried fruit of choice.
- Cinnamon: Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon to add more festive flavours!
This depends on the recipe. This specific 5-ingredient vegan banana bread recipe is refined sugar free and uses olive oil instead of butter or coconut oil. While coconut oil and butter contain mostly saturated fat (the kind of fat we would want to reduce in our diet), olive oil contains mostly polyunsaturated an also monounsaturated fats.
No, this recipe requires oil to work and achieve the desired taste. Adding oil results in a delicious moist bread.
I image you could use the same amount of gluten-free flour instead of regular white flour but I haven’t tried it. The bread’s texture might be different though!
Store your leftover banana bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Yes, either sliced or the whole load can be put in the freezer. Let thaw overnight at room temperature.
Other Recipes To Try
5-Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread
- 1 ½ cups white all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup maple syrup *or other liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ⅓ cup mashed bananas (~3-4 bananas) *see notes
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Line a loaf pan (20 x 10cm/ 8x4 inch) with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas in a soup bowl using a fork. Transfer mashed bananas to a measuring cup and measure the exact amount. Or use a kitchen scale.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, maple syrup and olive oil until well combined.
- Add flour and baking powder and gently stir until just combined. Do not overmix or you might end up with a very dense bread.
- Now would be the time to include some additional add ins of your choice (optional).
- Transfer batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 min in the centre rack or until a tooth pick inserted into the centre of the banana bread comes out clean.
- If your bread is starting to look brown towards the end of baking time, cover with foil.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 5 min. Then transfer the bread to a cooling rack.
- Let cool completely (~1 hour) before slicing it.
- Bananas: Try to use overripe bananas with lots of brown spots. They are sweeter and easier to work with.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Keeps for up to 4 days. You could also freeze it and let thaw the day before at room temperature.
- Additional Add-Ins to try:
- vanilla extract
- nuts & seeds
- chocolate chips
- dried fruits