Christmas Cranberry Pancakes
Is anyone else not able to let go of Christmas yet? These cranberry pancakes are vegan, refined sugar free and absolutely delicious. The batter consists of flour and a mix of almond butter, dried cranberries, maple syrup and plant milk.
Warm cranberry sauce mixed with maple syrup and yoghurt on top makes the topping. You could also add some additional nuts and of course drizzle over even more maple syrup.
They could be enjoyed as a breakfast, snack or dessert.
Ingredients & Substitution Notes
Fresh cranberries: You could either use fresh ones or frozen ones (like mine as you can see in the picture). I bought fresh ones, didn't use all of them so I put them in the freezer.
White, all purpose flour: I used white flour because I find that it makes the pancakes fluffier. However, you could probably also use whole wheat flour (I haven't tried it though).
Baking powder: Simply use regular baking powder.
Almond butter: I used homemade almond butter in this recipe, you can also use any store-bought one. Personally, I prefer nut butters that consist of 100% nuts, without any additives.
Dried cranberries: For this recipe I used sweetened dried cranberries. If you use unsweetened cranberries, you might need more maple syrup/ sugar to achieve a sweeter taste.
Plant milk: Oatmilk is my favourite type of plant milk because it is naturally quite sweet. You could use any milk you prefer though.
- (Soy) yoghurt: The same accounts for the yoghurt. I used soy but you could use any type of yoghurt you like.
How To Make Cranberry Pancakes
These pancakes are very easy to preapare and ready in no time.
Start by whisking together flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Then use a (high speed) blender to prepare your cranberry sauce for the batter. Once its ready simply pour it over your dry ingredients and mix thouroughly using a whisk.
Add more maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it) and a bit more plant milk to make the batter a little thinner. I prefer using only about 3 more tablespoon of maple syrup in the batter because I prefer drizzling some over once the pancakes are ready.
While you are cooking one pancake after the other in a pan over medium heat, you can start preparing your cranberry sauce for the topping. I prefer the slightly sour taste of the cranberries but feel free to add more maple syrup if you like it sweeter.
You could prepare the complete recipe the day before if you wanted. I've tried it once and simply left them in the oven overnight (switched off of course). In the morning, I added a drizzle of maple syrup and voila.
To warm them up you could heat the oven or put them in the microwave, but they still taste best fresh out of the pan.
Vegan Cranberry Pancakes
Pancakes Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup (150g) white, all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
Pancakes Wet Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups plant milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ cup (80g) dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoon plant milk
- 2 or more tablespoon maple syrup *see notes
Cranberry Sauce Topping
- 1 cup (~100g) fresh cranberries
- 4 tablespoon maple syrup or more if you like a sweeter taste
- 1 tablespoon (soy) yoghurt
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder & salt.
- Add almond butter, plant milk & dried cranberries to a (high speed) blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blender mix over the flour and thoroughly mix.
- Add in 4 more tbsp. of plant milk + 3 tablespoon maple syrup to make the batter a bit thinner and sweeter. Feel free to add more maple syrup depending on how sweet you like it.
- If you used unsweetend cranberries you might need to add more sweetener at that point.
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, spoon in 2-3 tablespoon of pancake batter and cook on one side for about 2-3 min.
- As soon as you can see a lot of little bubbles forming, the pancake is ready to be flipped. Turn with a spatula and cook the otherside until cooked through.
Cranberry Sauce Topping
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Add cranberries & a dash of water and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Once they are soft, add maple syrup and yoghurt.
- Maple Syrup: Use more than 2 tablespoon of maple syrup if you don't drizzle over some additional maple syrup after serving.